Miraleste Times

• Have a Wonderful Summer! School Resumes Wed. August 22

• June 7 Last Day of School - Minimum day -12:20 Dismissal

• June 6 - 8th Grade Promotion

• June 5 8th Grade Promotion Rehearsal and Pool Party

• May 28 - Memorial Day - No School

• May 25 - Minimum Day 12:20 Dismissal

Sightings of Humpback Whales in Antarctica- Should They Be Taken Off The Endangered Species List

Back to Article
Back to Article

Anthony Kim, News Editor

Humpback whales that live and breed in the southern oceans near Antarctica are claiming to have a major comeback, with pregnancy and birthing rates higher than ever before. In the 19th and 20th century, whales were hunted and almost wiped out from extinction, but treaties were made to help them return in numbers. Climate change is also helping out the whales. With the ice melting away, whales have much more open sea to breed and migrate. With the whales traveling from the colder waters to the warmer waters, to places like Hawaii, it also takes a step forward to ending oil digging expeditions in the Arctic Coast. Becoming endangered starting in 1970, the humpback whale was as few as 1,000 left in the wild. However, due to conservation efforts, a new report told of 21,800 whales worldwide. Government officials say that it is definitely a successful comeback and thus the whales it should be removed from the endangered species list. ”

The recovery of humpback whales in the North Pacific is an [Endangered Species Act] success story,” Division of Wildlife Conservation director Doug Vincent-Lang said in a statement. “These whales have shown consistent gains in numbers and occupy their entire historical range, which demonstrates that they are not in danger of extinction now or in the foreseeable future.” Governments plan to continue drilling for oil in humpback whale migration pathways, to help improve their economic growth. Despite this, Environmentalists disagree. They claim that the whales cannot continue thriving in the wild without the help of the government. The last animal species to be moved around in the Endangered Species List was the Carribean Monk Seal, which was reported extinct in 2008. The last known animal to no longer be classified as extinct was the Pacific gray whale in 1994.

The humpback whale should definitely be protected.