Miraleste Times

• Have a Wonderful Summer! School Resumes Wed. August 22

• Last Day of School - Minimum day -12:20 Dismissal

• June 6 - 8th Grade Promotion

• June 5 8th Grade Promotion Rehearsal and Pool Party

• May 28 - Memorial Day - No School

• May 25 - Minimum Day 12:20 Dismissal

The Most Talked About Moments At The 2018 Grammy Awards

Donya Rouzbehi, Entertainment Editor

The Grammys was a potpourri of political and emotional moments. In the thick of the #MeToo and #TimesUp movements, on the heels of the Larry Nassar scandal, ongoing conversations of immigration and race, and in between one presidential tweet and the next, there was no way that the 2018 Grammys wasn’t going to be the most emotional one yet. So if you had an early bedtime, here are the biggest moments you may have missed from Sunday night’s Grammy awards.

Kendrick Lamar blew many people away with loaded, captivating performances “XXX” and “DNA.” The performance was backed with the American flag and men in fatigues and ski masks, Lamar rapped about black blood and black power. Eventually, he was joined by U2 and Dave Chapelle. Near the end of his set, Chapelle told the audience, “I just wanted to remind the audience that the only thing more frightening than watching a black man be honest in America is being an honest black man in America. Sorry for the interruption.”

Kesha had an angelic performance of her hit song called “Praying”. Her legal battle with her music producer was one of the biggest entertainment stories of the last few years, and her victorious ballad took on the new meaning of the #MeToo movement. Camilla Cabello, Andra Day, Bebe Rexha, Cyndi Lauper, Julia Michaels and the Resistance Revival Chorus joined Kesha onstage, dressed in all white.

Before Kesha’s amazing performance, Janelle Monae had a short but very direct statement about the Time’s Up movement. “Tonight, I am proud to stand in solidarity as not just an artist but a young woman with my fellow sisters in this room who make up the music industry. Artists, writers, assistants, publicists, CEOs, producers, engineers, and women from all sectors of the business. We are also daughters, wives, mothers, sisters, and human beings. We come in peace, but we mean business. And to those who dare and try to silence us, we offer you two words: Time’s Up.” Monae said.

Jay-Z and Beyonce’s six-year-old daughter, Blue Ivy, stole the show. When you’re either Beyonce or Jay-Z, no one can really cut you down to size…except maybe your six-year-old daughter. Apparently some polite clapping was a little too embarrassing for the young lady, who gently asked her parents to stop clapping.

Celebrities read Donald Trump’s book, Fire and Fury, including Hillary Clinton herself. There was a short video excerpt which they was shown on the big screen at the Grammy Awards before all the performances. The celebrities included Snoop Dog, John Legend, and Hillary Clinton of course. The video is quite funny if I say so myself.

Before U2’s performance, the Cuban-Mexican “Havana” singer had some words to say about immigration, especially on the legacy of DACA. “Today, in this room full of music’s dreamers, we remember that this country was built by dreamers, for dreamers, chasing the American dream. I’m here on this stage tonight because, just like the dreamers, my parents brought me to this country with nothing in their pockets but hope. They showed me what it means to work twice as hard and never give up. And honestly no part of my journey is different from theirs.” Camilla Cabello said.

The auditorium filled with boos when Ed Sheeran won Best Solo Performance for his song, “Shape of You,” beating out the likes of Kelly Clarkson, P!nk, Lady Gaga, and Kesha. Good thing Ed was mercifully not there to hear the boos. In addition, there was a powerful tribute to Las Vegas at the 2018 Grammy Awards. A group of country superstars provided one of the most emotional and non-political performances to the 59 victims at the Las Vegas shooting. Eric Church, Maren Morris, and the Brothers Osborne delivered an interpretation of Eric Clapton’s “Tears in Heaven” to a silent crowd. Before the performance, Church said, “All of country music was reminded in the most tragic way of the connection we share with our fans and the healing power music will always provide.”

Last but certainly not least, Bruno Mars accepted the Grammy Award for album of the year, which he won for “24K Magic” on Sunday, January 28. Mars also won the Grammys for song of the year (“That’s What I Like”) and record of the year (“24K Magic”). In conclusion, those were NINE of the most talked about moments at the 2018 Grammy Awards.

Image result for grammys 2018Image result for grammys 2018