Miraleste Times

• Have a Wonderful Summer! School Resumes Wed. August 22

• Last Day of School - Minimum day -12:20 Dismissal

• June 6 - 8th Grade Promotion

• June 5 8th Grade Promotion Rehearsal and Pool Party

• May 28 - Memorial Day - No School

• May 25 - Minimum Day 12:20 Dismissal

The 2018 Winter Olympics

Aadi Lal Nick Grau

On February 8th, 2018 the Winter Olympics in South Korea began.  The Olympics took place in Pyeong Chang.  The Olympics began on  Friday, February 9th the  and the games ended on February 25th, with the closing ceremony. The estimated cost of the games for South Korea was 10 billion dollars which sounds like a lot but it really is five times less than Russia spent on the Sochi Winter Olympics. Also for the first time ever all Americans in all U.S. time zones were able to watch the live coverage of the games other than a delayed replay of the events. There are also some very important story lines developing because of these Olympics. As for the first time in eight years North Korea is sent athletes to the Olympics to compete. Also the NHL did not allow their players to leave for the Olympics as the NHL officials believed that it would disrupt the season. Lastly the leading medal winner from the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics, Russia, did not compete in this year’s games  because of their anti-doping violations.  They were also striped of thirteen medals.

The NHL decided that they would not allow their players to play in the Olympics as it disrupts their season. This left the U.S. and other countries to form a team of college players, players based in Europe, and players not in the NHL but other leagues. Other countries had to do this also as many countries depend on the NHL for the main part of their teams. For example the U.S. lost stars like Patrick Kane, Jonathan Quick, and Jack Eichel.  Canada will lost players like Sidney Crosby, Connor Mcdavid, and Drew Doughty. Another reason the NHL  did not want to participate is because the IOC ( International Olympic Committee) said that they would not pay for the players travel or accommodations. Many NHL players are frustrated by this and wanted to play for their countries.

As to the North Korean athletes  allowed to compete in the competition. Officials from North and South Korea met to discuss the athletes playing and came up on an agreement. This is very good as peace talks can begin between the two countries which may lead to the U.S. beginning peace talks with the North Koreans. Maybe the Olympics could stop a nuclear war from starting or it could make the war more likely than before.

Overall these Olympics were very interesting  to watch as we see the effect of these developments in the actual competition. To the surprise of most people Norway came out on top of the medal standings with a whopping 39 medals. Second was Germany with 31 medals.. Then Canada with 29 medals, and finally in fourth the U.S. with 23 medals. The U.S. started off pretty slow but then picked it up. Shaun White and Chloe Kim won the U.S. gold in snowboard half-pipe. Those medals were expected but there were very different medals that the U.S. won. First of all they won their first gold medal in women cross-country skiing, Also the U.S. women’s hockey team beat Canada in the gold medal match for the first time in 20 years. But maybe the most surprising medal of all was the U.S. men’s curling team winning the gold medal. Lastly these Olympics were a real fun one to watch and was succesful for all countries.