The student news site of Miraleste Intermediate School

Miraleste Times

• 2nd Trimester Ends March 2

• January 16-19 Yellow Ribbon Week

• Happy New Year 2018!!

• Winter Break Friday Dec 15 min day - Tuesday January 2 2018 First Day Back

• November 27 Trimester 2 Begins

• Happy Thanksgiving Holiday! November 22 Minimum Day - November 26

• End of Trimester 1 November 22

Girl Trapped in School After Mexico Earthquake

Chasen Hamilton, News Editor

After the 7.1 magnitude earthquake hit Mexico, a school in Mexico collapsed leaving a 12 year old girl under the rubble of the collapsed building. “At this moment we know that at least one girl is alive inside,” According to Jose Luis Vergara. A Mexican Navy Official warned that a rescue would have to be imminent which means it’s about to happen. The girl happened to be lucky because the earthquake killed 250 people in Mexico. The federal police of Mexico said they pulled people out of the debris on Thursday. They would crack through slabs until they could wiggle out the victims, according to Mexico federal police. 

The crowd and rescuers would have to stay quiet so they can hear voices that are coming from under the debris. On Thursday morning, rescuers would climb through the debris as volunteers would bring water and food. According to Luis Felipe Puente of the Ministry of the Interior’s Civil Protection, 25 appear to be dead in the school, 21 children and 4 adults. Two girls claimed they were taking down their English homework while they suddenly heard a quake. They were taken to the stairs and that’s when the building started to collapse. Members of the Mexican Navy, The Red Cross and Los Topos came to help and remove bricks, used thermal sound and movement sensors to aid their search. 

In conclusion, people were saved in the collapsed but people also died. This earthquake killed about 250 people including 21 children and 4 adults. The rescue parties would crack through slabs and wiggle the victims.