The student news site of Miraleste Intermediate School

Miraleste Times

• 2nd Trimester Ends March 2

• January 16-19 Yellow Ribbon Week

• Happy New Year 2018!!

• Winter Break Friday Dec 15 min day - Tuesday January 2 2018 First Day Back

• November 27 Trimester 2 Begins

• Happy Thanksgiving Holiday! November 22 Minimum Day - November 26

• End of Trimester 1 November 22

An Interview With Our Principal: Mr. Califano

Stella Lenzie, School News Editor

I wasn’t really sure what to expect when I stepped in for my appointment with Mr. Califano, our new principal. But- he isn’t really that new. In fact, he grew up in the area, just four minutes from MIS. “We used to swim in the pool when we weren’t supposed to,” he said, laughing. And- I believe it.  Although he loves UCLA as we all know,  he actually attended UCSD and played baseball for them. But- he’s always been a UCLA fan. Anyone could deduce that from his memorabilia-covered office and from  the several UCLA shirts we see him wearing. But, there’s a new addition to his office some USC items! When asked, he got a familiar glimmer in his eyes. “I never used to be a USC fan, until I got to know Coach Helton.” He said, nodding at the picture of the two together. The USC football coach was all smiles in the picture. “Now, I cheer on USC when they’re not playing UCLA that is.”

In addition, he also has some changes in mind, but they’re not big ones. “Miraleste has a certain culture, and it’s so great that I don’t want to change too much.” He should know he’s been a science teacher, a vice principal and now the principal here. When our previous principal Mr.  Letcher asked him to be the vice principal, he first thought about declining, because he loved being a teacher so much. However, he said yes, and ended up as the vice principal for many more years.

As some may have noticed, there have been some changes, such as longer lunchtime and new water fountains. But Mr. Califano doesn’t take credit for the water fountains, he says that was all the previous administration’s idea, he just gave it a little push along the path. The longer lunch? There was “…too much time for the wrong things to happen,” plus there’s now time to join some of the interschool competitions.  There’s time for kickball, and other sports, later to come. Another interesting change is going to be the moving of lockers.  However the changes are a  process so we can expect some small changes in the future, but nothing as large as banning shirts that are the color green. Because that’s just crazy.

The lockers that are on the side of the 600 building are hot, discolored, and plain old annoying. One can’t even keep their lunch in there on a hot day because it will spoil from the direct sunlight. And on the hottest days, someone could burn their hand from touching their lock or their locker. And on the latter, I’m speaking from experience! So, over winter break, the lockers will be moved to the sides of other buildings, and some will also be replaced over winter break and over spring break. 

As the interview was coming to a close, Mr. Califano said something that stuck with me for the rest of the day. “The kids of Miraleste are so much fun, and I don’t want to change that character.” We can expect some new things in the future, but they are all for the betterment of the school.

Welcome back to Miraleste Mr. Califano!