The student news site of Miraleste Intermediate School

Miraleste Times

• FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL 2017 - 2018 -August 28 - Watch for Registration Information

• THURSDAY 6/8 - LAST DAY OF SCHOOL! HAVE A WONDERFUL SUMMER!

• Thursday 6/8 Minimum Day 12:20 Dismissal - Memory Video Show

• Wednesday 6/7 Minimum Day Schedule 12:20 Dismissal; Promotion Ceremony 4:30 pm. Students report to GYM by 3:45 pm

• 6th/7th grades Regular Bell Schedule; 8th Grade Promotion Rehearsal; Pool Party; Yearbook Distribution

• Monday 6/5 Regular Bell Schedule - 8th Graders clean out lockers durng Math Class

• Promotion Week Schedule

The Importance of The French Election

Bryce Parker, World News Editor

Like most of the elections this year have been very interesting including the French election that could survey hurt or help the U.S. and thanks to our presidential election has surely influenced many other elections in Europe. Their are currently 5 runners to become the prime minster of France each with their own separate ideas showing how even in Europe people are so politically divided.

Now how does the French election work? Well the Election starts off and has two rounds. The first round took place on April, 23 where they eliminated most of the candidates. The remaining two candidates will then face off May 7 for the Élysée Palace and to become the prime minster off the country. The candidates for the left in the French Election are Benoit Hamon and Jean-Luc Melenchon that are apart of the Socialist Party that want to increase taxes for people who make $400,000 or more by 90% and increase property tax to 100%. Which makes Jean-Luc Melenchon considered to be a far leftist even by American standards.  One reporter said “so much that he makes Burny Sanders look like conservative.”  On top of that Jean-Luc Melenchon wants to raise minimum wage by 16% and wants to use a labor law designed to make it easier for firms to hire and fire employees and reduce executive pay. Benoit Hamon from the Socialist Party has many of the same ideas as Jean-Luc Melenchon he also wants a Universal monthly income for all French citizens.

For the Right wing we have François Fillon the former prime minster of France from 2007-2012 who served under the Republican party of France. Who is being investigated for fake job offenses whether or not he gave salaries to his wife and his children out of public funds to do jobs that didn’t exist. François Fillon’s policies on economics is that he wants to abolish the wealth tax or reduce taxes for the rich and for companies that this tax is largely unpopular with the people. He wants to cut some public spending, wants to” drain the swamp” and in doing so will cut spending by $100bn euros and then spending some of that money on boosting France defense’s.  He would create a central EU border force and wants to limit immigration and strict regulation of Islam. He argues against abortion and same sex marriage. Lastly the far right fire brand Marine Le Pen of the National Front Party

http://www.euronews.com/2017/02/09/what-do-we-know-about-marine-le-pen-s-policies