The student news site of Miraleste Intermediate School

Miraleste Times

• FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL 2017 - 2018 -August 28 - Watch for Registration Information

• THURSDAY 6/8 - LAST DAY OF SCHOOL! HAVE A WONDERFUL SUMMER!

• Thursday 6/8 Minimum Day 12:20 Dismissal - Memory Video Show

• Wednesday 6/7 Minimum Day Schedule 12:20 Dismissal; Promotion Ceremony 4:30 pm. Students report to GYM by 3:45 pm

• 6th/7th grades Regular Bell Schedule; 8th Grade Promotion Rehearsal; Pool Party; Yearbook Distribution

• Monday 6/5 Regular Bell Schedule - 8th Graders clean out lockers durng Math Class

• Promotion Week Schedule

Beauty and the Beast

Natasha Stein, Editor in Chief

The 2017 live action movie, Beauty and the Beast opened on March 17 and was instantly marked as the number one March opening ever with $170 million in the box office. Beauty and the Beast broke records for G or PG rated movies. Last year, Finding Dory also was the best PG or G rated movie with $135 million and Beauty and the Beast blew past that. This isn’t the last live action film. Making its way to the Theater is live action versions of, The Little Mermaid, Mulan, Dumbo, The Lion King, and Aladdin.

The new Beauty and the Beast is very similar to the original but has been changed a little bit. The Writers added in a few new characters and the interesting part is they each have a cool backstory so in the end the story ties together. Also, Emma Watson got to change Belles character a bit to make her more independent or in the words of Daily Mail, “fearless with girl power.” One thing the Emma got to change was she switched the roles with Belle and her father. Emma told the Daily Mail, “we made her this mad wacky inventor.” Her dad still was an inventor but he focused on art and music boxes while Belle was the one who created or fixed things. Emma Watson was talking in an interview about her costumes and she said,” Belle likes to read so we created Pockets so she can always carry a book….She loves to ride so we have one side of her skirt hitched so she could get her leg over her horse, we wanted her to be beautiful but also this is something that is part of her.” So they made a few adjustments but they still kept Belles beauty and heart. Emma added, “They have taken something that is so well known and just expanded on it and gave it more depth.”

Other than the clothes and a few of the characters being different in the new movie, the movie itself differs from the original film. One thing different is we learn about Belle and the Beasts childhood. A lot of people were wondering what happened to the prince before the curse or where is Belles mother? Most of your questions will be answers in the movie now. One thing that I had noticed was in the scene where Gaston is marching to kill the Beast, in the live action film, both men and women were fighting. In the original film, the men started marching off while they showed the women waving their husbands goodbye from their houses. Also, they added in some new songs also to expand the story. The writers gave LeFou a bigger role and now he is loved by fans, more than he already was. LeFou is Gastons sidekick, who is always by his side to cover up for him. The writers had also made LeFou Disney’s first openly gay character.

This movie left Disney fans and anyone who watched it in shock. I have not seen or heard one bad review. Francesca Genato said ,” I was speechless, I can’t describe it. They did an amazing job and I would see it a billion times.” Francesca said Emma Watson was the perfect Belle, she’s flawless. Francesca also said that the finale gave her the goosebumps. Courtney Prikosovits agrees that the finale was amazing but she also loved the Gaston song. “It was the greatest movie of all time” Courtney said her favorite character in the movie was LeFou because he was so hilarious. Courtney thought Emma Watson was also the perfect belle and shes a wonderful actress. Nobody could have done better. Beauty and the Beast is out in theaters today. Its totally worth seeing and you will walk about of the theater in totally shock!