The student news site of Miraleste Intermediate School

Miraleste Times

• FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL 2017 - 2018 -August 28 - Watch for Registration Information

• THURSDAY 6/8 - LAST DAY OF SCHOOL! HAVE A WONDERFUL SUMMER!

• Thursday 6/8 Minimum Day 12:20 Dismissal - Memory Video Show

• Wednesday 6/7 Minimum Day Schedule 12:20 Dismissal; Promotion Ceremony 4:30 pm. Students report to GYM by 3:45 pm

• 6th/7th grades Regular Bell Schedule; 8th Grade Promotion Rehearsal; Pool Party; Yearbook Distribution

• Monday 6/5 Regular Bell Schedule - 8th Graders clean out lockers durng Math Class

• Promotion Week Schedule

Miraleste’s Production of “Bye Bye Birdie”!

Katin Sarner, Zoe O'Neil, and Natsha Stein, School News Editors

Let’s go back in time to see “Bye Bye Birdie” at Miraleste Middle School. “Bye Bye Birdie” is set in the early 60s. The character Conrad Birdie was inspired by the very popular singer of that time, Elvis Presley.  Just like Elvis, Conrad was drafted into the army leaving tons of teen fans devastated.  Albert Peterson, an unsuccessful songwriter and his secretary/love interest, Rose Alvarez come up with a plan to raise his publicity to have Conrad Birdie record a song about “One Last Kiss” and have a random fan send him off to the army with his one last kiss.

Kim MacAfee, a Conrad Birdie enthusiast, is selected out of millions of adoring fans to kiss Conrad one last time before he leaves. The problem is, Kim had just gotten “pinned” to Hugo Peabody, her steady, and Kim’s best friend, Ursula Merkle, spread the news to the whole town. Even though Hugo tries to prevent Kim from kissing Conrad, Kim is determined to kiss her teenage heartthrob. Throughout Conrad staying at the MacAfee’s household, Kim’s parents, Doris and Harry MacAfee, try to keep Conrad as far away from Kim as possible, but Kim is determined to spend time with him.

“‘Bye Bye Birdie’ was a fun show that is very funny and has great choreography.” Says Annelise Espinoza (Rose Alvarez), “I don’t really have one favorite scene, but I loved the costumes and the dances.”   Collin Stewart (Albert Peterson) agrees, he said,” the whole cast was so talented and the show itself is pretty funny.” Jake Wong (Conrad Birdie) says,” It was a great show and I think the students really liked it because it’s about kids our age.”

Emily Typrowicz, a student who watched the show, states, “It was really good and everyone sang and acted very well. I was laughing a lot at some of the characters. My favorite character was Mae Peterson and Mrs. Merkle because they made me laugh.” Everyone who saw the show was spreading word on how funny it was and how great the show itself was.

From people who were in the show, we enjoyed every second of it. It is so much fun to pretend to be someone very different than yourself. “The experience is amazing! It’s a great program with a great director and all of the cast members are all so sweet and talented. I totally recommend it to anyone because not only is it a fun program, you get a life changing experience and you meet new friends. I did it for all three years and it was the best thing about middle school! It’s so worth it.” Says Natasha Stein, who played Ursula Merkle. Katin Sarner, who characterized Mrs. MacAfee, states, “When I started this program in 6th grade, I had no idea how connected I would be too it. I have made so many friends that I wouldn’t have met if it wasn’t for the musical. I didn’t know how much I would love doing musical theater. For all the 6th and 7th graders, auditions for next year’s musical are next November, so start practicing!” Zoe O’Neil, who stared as Kim MacAfee, says, “The biggest regret I have is not doing the Miraleste Musical in 6th grade. Being a part of a Miraleste Musical is a once in a life time experience. You never get to do stuff like that.” Overall, the MIS musical is a great experience for anyone who is interested in preforming.